The idea to form a church in a section of Greensboro then called DINGLAND was originated and spearheaded through Rev. J. T. Hairston who was then pastor of Shiloh Baptist Church located then on Ashe Street. Many people living in the Dingland area attended Shiloh. Later on, the name Dingland changed to New Town.
In May 1906, the land was purchased from Jerry and Manerva Shoffner for $250.00. In March 1912 the trustees, Mr. James Allen, Mr. James Land and Mr. Lewis Trice had the deed recorded and filed for registration in the Guilford County Courthouse. Through the efforts of Mr. C. C. Rucker, who chaired the board, construction on the church began in 1913. He was assisted by the community and area churches. Because of the red siding on the outside of our church, and possibly the red mud of the street we were called the “Little Red Church on the Hill”. The first church had about 25 members. Sunday School was first held on Sunday morning, followed by two services at 3:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. You could hear the bell ringing out its invitation to those services every Sunday.
During the 1930s, church picnics were held at new Goshen Church (walking distance of the St. James) and on Vanstory Street (Mrs. Hearst) near the cemetery when members were able to rent a truck for transportation.
Under the leadership of several pastors, associate ministers and deacons, that small church grew. Rev. Bunkers was the first pastor followed by Rev. Long, Rev. Leak, Rev. C. W. McBroom, Rev. W. T. Byrd and Rev. H. C. Hairston. Associate ministers included Rev. Glenn, Rev. Bidding, Rev. J. A. Ellis, Rev. Dodd, Rev. Brice, Rev. Grant Williams and Rev. Will Green. The deacons served these pastors and worked hard to help keep our church growing. Mr. C. C. Rucker served as our first chairman and Mr. Wrenn Thompson served as treasurer. Other deacons included: Mr. Allen, Mr. Bud Lane, Mr. Major Evans, Mr. Oscar Garrett, Mr. Hazel Hurst, Mr. John Hood, Mr. Pap Johnson, Mr. Asberry Brown, Mr. John Bell, Mr. Bradshaw, and Mr. Tom Kimble.